3ème (Grade 9)
3ème is the “orientation” cycle in Middle School.
This orientation cycle completes students’ attainments and will have prepared them to embark upon their general, technological or professional studies after Middle School.
At the end of 9th grade, students sit their first French national examination, The National Brevet Certificate.
Students may choose to take optional subjects like a foreign modern language or Latin.
Teaching disciplines and time allocations are set by the official guidelines that you can view on the Eduscol website:
- Modern Languages 2: Three hours weekly of Spanish or German.
- Latin: Two to three hours weekly.
- Audio-visual studies as a subject.
- Additional French and Mathematics for one hour per week.
- Supervised study: Students have may choose between several time slots of study sessions supervised by a teacher who helps them with study their methods.