Heritage Day, an occasion to discover South Africa in PS On Friday 21st, on the occasion of Heritage Day celebration, we, the PS students discovered the South African flag and the nationalities of our classmates. Some of them even wore their traditional outfits! Then we put a traditional make-up the “moyo-dots”. Despite the overcast weather we had so much fun!
Heritage Day @ Pretoria, the joy to show your culture and to discover others cultures
Heritage Day was celebrated in colourful attire at the Pretoria campus on Friday 21 September. The students (and teachers) were excited to show off their traditional outfits. Some of our parents visited the classes to share interesting information about their countries of origin. Our heartfelt thanks to them! Recess was accompanied by South African music; from Mango Groove to Miriam Makeba and more… the perfect opportunity for some of the Cycle 3 students to show the kwaito moves they learnt during dance lessons in EPS! A very happy day!
– In TPS/PS: Léo’s mom told us about Mohawk culture and Miho’s dad taught us about origami. The pupils folded and decorated the figure of a dog’s head. We shared a snack consisting of Pakistani kebabs and halwa as well as American maize cake.
– In MS: The Moyenne Section pupils had the pleasure of welcoming Frida’s father who played a piece of Spanish music on his guitar.
– The GS pupils: learnt about Mohawk culture (North America) and how to greet « Sekoh », watched an extract from a Bollywood film and tried some Indian dance paces, listened to a reading of an Argentinian comic strip, “Mafalda” by Quino, tasted a South African carrot cake, an Argentinian milk cream cake “Alfajores”, some French camembert cheese with baguette, Swiss chocolates and Congolese fried banana skewers.
– In CP: Nuño’s father taught us a song in Spanish and Denis’ mother showed us a traditional Russian dance. David brought us a “banita”; a traditional Bulgarian dish that we enjoyed very much!
– In CM1-CM2 A: Loïc did a presentation about Madagascar and we tasted banana fritters. Eva shared a cherry clafoutis with the class.
– In CM1-CM2 B: Filip shared a Bulgarian dish and demonstrated a Bulgarian dance.